Thursday, October 16, 2008

Hook 'em Horns!














What a GREAT game that was!  Other than the National Championship game, I have never been more proud to be a Longhorn! I am so impressed by Colt, Jordan, and all of the other guys...not to mention Chris Ogbonnaya who was my friend last May that showed me and my kiddos around the UT campus (see pic!).  It was a great day to be a Longhorn!  I watched the game on my Slingbox from Eason's kitchen in London.  I had the full intention of changing into my cute party outfit for his big housewarming shin-dig, but once half-time came and went and we were doing so well, I couldn't bring myself to change out of my burnt orange!  I think some non-Americans who were there were slightly confused (or concerned, not sure which) but I didn't care!  I even got Eas to throw up the horns for me.  I think he's coming on along!!  His team, Cal, had a bye, so he happily cheered for my Horns.  Thanks, babe! :)

The weekend in London was tons of fun.  It took a lot less time to get there this time (I think I'm just learning the secrets to Euro-traveling).  Unlike in the states, you don't want to get to the airport TOO early because they won't even give you your gate assignment until 30 minutes before the plane leaves.  That's a lot of sitting around time!  You have to be a focused traveler (always get to the front of the line, run, don't walk, to the customs counter, and buy the train ticket from the airport into London before hand!  I've learned to keep my 3 currencies separate (Swiss Francs in one pouch, Euros in other, and the Queen's money in yet another) so that you don't look like a "stupid American" and pay with the wrong one (which I've so tried to do)!  Speaking of, I read an article last night that my dad sent me about how Americans are perceived around the world.  Apparently most countries were originally solely discontented with Bush, but not the American people.  After we elected him again in 2004, however, they started having discontent for American's as well!  Ha!  Can't say I blame them.  That's all I'm gonna say on the political front.  It's weird being this far from home during this important election, but I'm trying to keep up (I do get that one channel in English which happens to be CNN)!  I don't feel like people get annoyed with me being American all that much, but I try to blend in (I was paid the biggest compliment this weekend when 2 separate people in London asked me for directions on Oxford Street, where all the shopping magic happens)!  I must look like a professional shopper (imagine that!).  

Back to the weekend in London.  When I got there sweet Eas had dinner cooked and wine on the table...and, it gets better...the Sex and City the Movie!  What a sweet boyfriend!!  Saturday we spent the day shopping for party supplies, food, and Hag clothes (as Eason puts it).  I bought a few essentials (cute shoes and an ADORABLE purple jacket!) and we did some Christmas window shopping.  Then it was game time!  Tons of people came to the party and it was lots of fun.  It's nice to know more of Eason's friends now...I don't feel like I really even saw him much the whole night b/c I was too busy socializing!  He has some great friends in London and I'm lucky to call them friends now as well.  Some of those single friends are actually going to come to Lugano to visit for Halloween (my single teacher friends are so excited)!   It should be a fun weekend and hopefully I'll be in my new apt by then!

The new apartment is coming along -- I check in on it daily.  My apartment will be rather large, so anyone who wants to visit is welcome!  I feel so lucky to have nice housing here!  My neighbors will be 3 other teachers from here and we're a fun and fantastic group.  We plan on having Grey's Anatomy parties there as soon as possible!  Random sidenote:  I miss "The Office."  Can someone fill me in on it?!  Italian classes are going well.  I find myself speaking to myself in Italian (although all I can say to myself is "Hi, what is your name?  How do you spell it?" and "My name is Hayley, H-A-Y-L-E-Y!"). :)  Today I feel a breakthrough coming in class though.  I'll just have to remember to switch back to Spanish in a few weeks when I got to Spain!  The kids here are teaching me, though.  One kid, in Pre-K, thinks I speak Italian because I was practicing the aforementioned phrases with him one day (it's much easier to freely speak Italian without psyching yourself out when the kid is 4!).  Now he only speaks to me in Italian and I'm in a heap of trouble then!  Another little Pre-K enjoys playing Make-Believe Tennis and Make-Believe Soccer with me (in high heels, no less!) during recess.  He always wins!  I love my job. :)

I've had the chance to catch up some with my friends from home which is always really nice.  I miss my Mermaid, Kristin, but I'm loving hearing about her new life in S.A.  I'm so proud of the new/fun life she is making there!!  Last night we SO watched the same episode of "Full House" together -- it was just like old times. :) This weekend is Venice for Blair and Angie's bday weekend.  We're all taking the train (big group of 13) tomorrow after school.  I've never been and I'm really excited!!  Then the next weekend is Madrid with Morgs (I have MISSED my friend!), followed by the weekend that the London visitors descend!  Should be a fun few weeks!!!  Pics of Venice when I return!  Love you all!

2 comments:

Morgan and Eric said...

I've missed you too!! Can't wait to see you in person, and it's nice to be back on email too! Oh, and hook 'em!

Cameron said...

TV tip for you: www.hulu.com puts up episodes of The Office pretty much right after they air. It's a free service, they just have you watch a few seconds of commercials every now and then. They have lots of different TV shows and movies available. Hope it works over there!