Thursday, April 2, 2009

Mom and Marty Do Europe (and Other Visitors!)


Mom and Marty in Lugano

These are very exciting times. My parents (Mom and Marty) came to visit. Normally this would be huge (I miss my momma) but it was an even BIGGER deal considering the fact that neither Mom or Marty had ever been abroad before! And boy are they hooked! Marty, for sure! He particularly like the laid back, easy-going Italian lifestyle. I think he could have been happy as a clam just sitting on my nice, sunny porch all day, every day! It didn’t hurt that the weather was absolutely beautiful that week. Nearly 70 degrees and sunny the whole time! It hasn’t been like that before or since, so I’m quite sure they brought it with them (and took it home)!

When they showed up with about 10 bags my jaw hit the floor. What in the world are you doing with so many bags?! Turns out one of them held my very important diplomas needed for my UK Visa application, and the other bag was entirely full of American goodies (also very much needed)! We’re talking Starburst, Chex-mix, Skittles, Rotel, Velveeta, GIRL SCOUT COOKIES…oh my, was I a happy girl!


M/M Eating Yummy Gelato in Downtown Lugano

I took Mom and Marty down to Lugano one day and up the funicular (like a cable car that takes you up the mountain) to see the beautiful views of Lugano and this area another day. We also went to Como for a day which was great fun! We really lucked out on the weather. So relaxing.


View of Lugano from San Salvatore Mountain (Funicular ride)


Mom in front of the Duomo in Como


Me and Mom in Bellagio

The days that I was working, Mom and Marty went on little day adventures. Having never traveled via public transportation, I gotta tell you I was so proud of them! They took boats, trains, planes, busses…they did it all! They really enjoyed the castles of Bellinzona and especially Lucerne. They also got to see the Last Supper and Duomo in Milan which was a real highlight for them.

The last weekend of their trip I took Mom and Marty to see the City of Lights – London! Eas had plans for us on Friday night and met us at the train station. He really was a great tour guide all weekend! We had some yummy meals (Turkish and Brazilian!) and even got to meet up with Morgs and Eric and Adam. It was such a fun time! Saturday night we went to see “Wicked” which I loved! Mom and Marty stayed at the newly renovated Langham Hotel near Oxford Circus. Wow, what a treat, let me tell you! We even got access to the VIP lounge which provided snacks and cocktails to us for free. It was so nice!
I was so sad to see them go. We had such a blast! It was nice to have my mom here to calm my nerves and clean my house (like only moms can!). But alas, they had to go home and I had to go to Geneva! I don’t know that I’ve wide publicized this, but a couple of months ago I was offered a teaching job in London! I haven’t told many people about it because it was all contingent upon whether or not I could get a work visa to work and live there. It’s not quite as easily done as you might think. Apparently they are limiting the number of people who come in to work/live because of the bad economy. So bad timing on my part but oh well!


The Four of us Soaking up the Sun in London



Me and Eas in my Future City!



The London Eye and Thames River



Me and Momma



Eas in front of my New School: Southbank!

So on the day that M/M left, I took a VERY early flight to Geneva from London so I could FINALLY turn in my UK Visa
Application and all of the documents. This has been quite the process (as everything had to be in it’s original form – bank statements, diplomas, pay slips, etc). It really got down to the wire as I was waiting on a Fed-Ex package from Dad that arrived 30 minutes before I took off! Wow! But the bottom line is, I turned it all in and was on a train back to Lugano that afternoon. Sadly enough the whole process to get to Geneva and back to Lugano took as long as my parents’ trip back to Lufkin!


I have never been to Geneva so it was nice to get to see the city (even if for just a few hours). The train ride back was absolutely beautiful, too! Long, but beautiful! The problem with turning in my application was that they had to keep my passport for anywhere from 4 days to 3 weeks. You can imagine how unsettling of a feeling that is when you’re a foreigner living in a country other than your own!



Lake Geneva


The Notre Dame of Geneva

But I’m happy to say I got my visa! They called not 3 days later and said my passport was ready to be picked up. It was a nerve-racking trip to head back up there without knowing my fate, but luckily I had nothing to worry about. Now inside my passport is a lovely visa permit to work in the U.K. for 3 years! No worries, I’m not planning on staying there that long but it’s nice to know I have the option. I am now accepting London visitors to Casa Hag in London next year. Please come visit!!


My Train Ride Back to Lugano from Geneva



Glacier near Zurich

Next on the list of visitors were Jenni and Darin. They arrived the day I got back from Geneva. They were in Italy on a trip with their Dad, Liz, Jacque and Kevin, and were nice enough to pop on over the border to come see me (I didn’t think I’d have my passport back in time to travel to Italy)! It was so great having them here (even if just for a night). They picked the best time to come (Lugano Chocolate Festival was going on!) but didn’t get to see how beautiful it was due to all of the rain. But none-the-less we had lots of good pizza and lots of good wine (and lots of good chocolate and fun, of course too)!



Jenni and Darin at the Lugano Chocolate Festival


Making Chocolate Easter Bunnies!



Yum! Chocolate!

I want to extend a big CONGRATS to all of my friends who have had babies recently. Kelly had a beautiful baby boy (Hayden), Casey had an adorable baby girl (Tatum), Kristin had another sweet girl (Ava), and Jenny May is about to pop any day now! WAIT, this just in (literally as I typed this): JENNY MAY HAS HAD HER BABY! Welcome to the world, sweet Bekah Burkhart!! I can’t wait to meet all of these sweet young people!

Well I’m off now for 2 weeks – it’s Spring Break time around here (finally!). I’m heading to Rome on Saturday with Eason to see
all of the sites! Then off we go to the Amalfi Coast for a few relaxing days (other than the scary driving in Italy part!). Hilary and Stephen are meeting up with us down there – we are so excited to spend time together, just the 4 of us! Dad and Lisa join us in Rome next week (for Easter) and we will all enjoy Italy for the rest of that week! We’re going to Rome, Florence, Milan, Lugano and Como. PHEW! Take that Carmen San Diego!

Ciao for now and Happy Easter to everyone!
Hayley

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

BAHAHA! carmen sandiego is a skank.

Jenny said...

WHAT AN AMAZING POST HAYLEY! I just ate up every little detail! I can't tell you how happy your visa makes me and gosh, now you just get to relax knowing it is all taken care of so you can enjoy your spring break! SOOOO happy for you Hayley! Still can't believe how you wrote that the same time you found out Bekah was born, I love that!

Megan Kotula said...

Wow! You are a busy girl. I am amazed everytime I check your blog at all of the fantastic places you are getting to visit. Congrats on your London job, that is exciting. By the way, you can add 2 more babies to your long list of new arrivals. Our bundles of joy arrived March 5. You can see pictures on our blog. Good luck with all of your adventures. I love checking in on you to see "where in the world is" Hayley!