Sunday, November 9, 2008

Prouder than Ever...

to be an American! No matter what your political views are, we should all be proud of what happened this week. This country came together to elect an African American to the highest office of the nation. My children will never know that there was any other way. I can now tell my students of all races, "you can be anything you want to be" and mean it. I know that the country was divided this election, but I am thankful for so many people having an opinion and taking part in the democratic election process (isn't that what America is all about?). No matter who we wanted to win, we wall must come together now to support President-elect Obama. He has a tough road ahead of him. But remember...change is good. :) Everyone here was SO into the election. I woke up at 5 a.m. JUST in time to turn on CNN and hear them announce their projection that Obama had won the election. It was exhilarating! I thought McCain speech was really great and very honorable. I will forever remember Obama's speech. It was one of those moments that I really, really wanted to be at home. But luckily my sister finally found out how to use Skype, and we got to talk in person! That made it all the better!

Here are the pics I promised from last weekend's visitors. Don't the castles look fun!?!


Blair, Me and Allyson in Montagnola (where I live) with the view of Lake Lugano behind us. Beautiful!

Blair, me and Lizzie in a castle in Belinzona

Me and Eas

The crew - claiming our castle!

Last night my friends took me out to celebrate my birthday (a week early since I'll be in Paris on my birthday next weekend with Eas!). We had such a great time! After shopping on Saturday in Lugano with Blair, we played some volleyball (yes, I played volleyball!) and then get all dolled up to head to Milan. Blair drove the 14 passenger van full of girls to the big city! Oh you should have seen the reaction we got driving that monster through the tiny, crowded streets of Milan. We actually had guys BEGGING for us to stop! I don't think they'd ever seen 9 cute girls in one van before! :) We had a great Italian meal (deep-dish pizza, for once) and headed to "The Club" for some dancing! It was a typical European club with TONS of people and loud music. Very fun times! It was a late, late night, but at least I didn't have anything planned on Sunday. I rested, cooked dinner, went for a run and cleaned! We don't have a dryer, so my apartment smells of fresh laundry (hanging from every chair and table I have)! I'm so glad I have such fun, sweet friends here at TASIS! The 9 of us had a great time! More pics to come.


The girls out at dinner!

Next weekend is Paris and I'm so excited! Eas sent me the itinerary, and it is action packed! I am really looking forward to seeing Paris with him. He knows the city pretty well, so I'm just letting him decide where to go! Pics to come soon from that trip! Don't worry -- part of the itinerary is watching some college football on Saturday night. He's a man after my own heart. :) Milan, Paris, friends, and football. Sounds like a perfect birthday to me!

2 comments:

Jenny said...

Yay, your birthday week begins! What a great group of friends to do what they did for you! That makes me so happy Hayley! : ) Have the time of your life in Paris! I will be thinking about you next weekend! Happy Early Birthday!

Marvin G said...

i envy you miss.and happy late birthday.sorry i was so excited because IRVING MADE THE PLAYOFFS!!!
and we(varsity)get to play at texas stadium.its goin to be awesome.ok then take care and bring me a survonier.C ay