Thursday, November 27, 2008

Visitors Come to Lugano!


My visitors with me at the Irish Pub

As you can see from my lack of posts, it’s been a busy week. Wait…don’t I always say that? This time, it’s different. It was busy because I was planning for, prepping for, and hosting not one, but TWO groups of friends here in Lugano! We’ll start from the beginning.

Now, I wouldn’t say that I was good at driving a standard car before moving over here (just ask my dad who tried to teach me 10 times and Eas whom I nearly killed multiple times while practicing this summer)! But living here and needing to shop has forced me to do the unthinkable – learn how to drive a stick! It started off with trips up and down the hill between the two campuses. Then one day I made it to the gas station and back, then to the train station and back, then to IKEA and back (only stalling once or twice, I assure you – haha). Finally the time came where I decided it was time to push myself a little further. Like…to Milan, Italy. So last Friday night I offered to take Blair to the airport in Milan (so I could learn the way and experience going 0-120 in 10 secs - that’s kilometers, don’t worry). But of course I didn’t want to make the trip back alone, so I talked Allyson and Lizzie into a little road trip! Fun times! We only got lost once, in Varese, where I decided going around and around in the round-about while they looked for signs was a good a plan as any! Too bad we were laughing to hard to be able to tell which way we should go! Finally, we guessed right, and found our way home. We celebrated the successful trip with a night at the IP (where else!?).

Saturday came around and it was time to pick up the Austin Middle School girls! Jessica, Theresa and Robina were all sweet enough to spend their week of Thanksgiving break with me here in Europe! I left at 11:00 to drive (by myself this time!) and was just in time to welcome the passengers coming from Paris (their connection). Only, I welcomed everyone else BUT them! After and hour past landing time and still no sign, I began to worry. Finally they were able to get a hold of me after many hours and many unsuccessful attempts. Their original flight was delayed which caused them to miss their 2nd flight. What a mess! No worries, I found a book AND a magazine in English (that never happens here!) and 6.5 hours went by pretty fast. ☺ We had yummy pizza at Argentino’s in downtown Lugano, and celebrated their arrival that night at the IP (where else!?).


Me and Bina at IP

On Sunday I tried to let the girls sleep in, but Jess was having none of it! She got us up and got us moving, and we decided to head to Lake Como to look for George Clooney! First we stopped at the train to get their tickets to Venice (and some Swiss Fraaaanks, as Bina likes to say!). Once in Como we spent the afternoon eating more yummy Italian food by the lake and partook in a little Italian shopping. We ate gelato, of course, and even got to walk in on a real live mass in the Como Duomo that night! Como is very hopping at night and shops close late (unlike sleepy Lugano). Since it’s only 20 minutes away and I can now drive, I think I’ll be spending more time with Clooney than I thought! ☺ I wanted to take the girls to see his house in Bellagio (a 45 minute boat ride) but it was so late that the boat would only take us TO Bellagio, and not back. So we opted for the 1 hour Lake Como boat tour at dusk - it was lovely, and we did get to see Versace’s house! After that ,we headed back home to Lugano, and celebrated the end of a fun day in that night at the IP (are you seeing a trend here?)!

Me and Jess in Como


Girls in front of the Como Duomo


Jess and Bina try the Italian gelato!


Boat ride on Lake Como

That night we stayed up until nearly 3 a.m. just talking, catching up, eating cheese dip (they brought me Velveeta and Rotel and I was a HAPPY girl!) and, of course, some Swiss chocolate. We were pleasantly surprised to find out that it was SNOWING at 3 a.m., which made it very hard to go to sleep! Staying up that late was possibly a bad idea, as the girls had a 7:10 a.m. train to catch to Venice on Monday. At 7:09 we still weren’t at the station, so I said, “okay girls, hop out, go down those stairs, follow the signs to the trains, and…RUN!” Somehow they made their train, but barely. Off they went to Venice and off I went to work (very tired!).

Around 2:00 p.m. I received my 2nd round of visitors…my favorite travelin’ sisters, Candace and Christen. They are spending the week in Italy (Rome, Florence, etc) so they decided to come spend a night with me in Lugano! It was so great to see them. Candace even had interviews lined up with people at TASIS to possibly teach here next year (wouldn’t that be fun!). That night I decided to drive to Como again for dinner (they had never been). We just walked around the lake, went to the Duomo and ate a very nice and yummy meal. It was pretty quiet that night in Como (only 3 other table of people in our little quaint restaurant), but the four Italian men who were celebrating a birthday were nice enough to share their cake with the 3 girls from Texas! It was very sweet of them. Turns out one of them lived in Houston for a while (the world really is small).
Tuesday I headed off to work (with Candace in tow to have more interviews) and that was one crazy day! I have decided it would be more fun to have friends in town visiting when you didn’t have to work! More pics from their trip when Candace sends them to me. :)

Candace and her sis left around 2:00 that day, and Group 1 of the friends make it back from Venice around 8:30 that night (after many delays!). I spent the time in between the groups cleaning up and packing for the next day’s adventure. After I got them at the station, it was up to the Bellavista for some yummy pizza and Ticino Merlot. We celebrated them being back into town with a night at the IP! By this time we had become close friends with everyone at the Irish Pub (especially David, our bartender) and I have now been asked to bring back cowboy hats for everyone there, in remembrance of the Texas girls who made the IP their 2nd home!


Last night at the IP

Wednesday morning I took the girls to the station to catch their 8:00 a.m. shuttle to the airport (yeah we didn’t sleep EVER!), and off they went to Paris! No worries, I had plans to meet back up with my girls in Paris (for the night) after work. That day could not have gone faster – I couldn’t wait to spend a night in Paris with my girls! I arrived to the hotel around 10:30 p.m. and we hopped the tube to go have a look at the Eiffel Tower at night. Bellisima! After that, we headed to another part of town to check out a bar that Eason recommended, Bar Latino. We found it, but were too hungry to even think about going in…so we went on a little food excursion. After being turned down by 10 restaurants, we FINALLY found a place with cheeseburgers and French fries. Yes, please! Too bad Bar Latino closed (in my face!) right as we got back down there to do some Salsa dancing. ☹ Oh well, it was a fun night none-the-less, and since the girls had another early morning (to catch the flight back home) it was probably better this way! Too bad we didn’t find an Irish Pub in Paris!


Eiffel Tower at night




Figuring out the Paris Underground

So my 14 hours in Paris was great! Not just because Paris is great, but also because it was with great company. I laugh so much with those girls! It was so great to get to see them on my side of the world for a while. We just kept saying, “We’re in Italy!” or “We’re in Switzerland!” or “We’re in Paris!” It was oh-so-much-fun! Thank you, girls, for coming to visit!! You have NO idea what it means to me. I can’t wait to read the book of comments when I’m home at Christmas!

I am now on the Eurostar from Paris to London (great catching up on sleeping time!) and we have just come out of the tunnel that goes through the English Channel. Tonight is the 2nd Annual Davis Thanksgiving in London dinner and I couldn’t be more excited (to see my friend and to eat some real American food!). It’s also special because her parents are there (which means if the turkey showed up with feet this time, I won’t have to be the one to help pluck!). It’s so nice that I have been fortunate enough to spend my last 2 Thanksgivings with people who are like family since I can’t be with my own. Tonight is special, also, because it’s the same dinner that Eason and I met at last year! Who can believe it…a whole year!? ☺ I’m excited about spending time with him this weekend (Christmas shopping and just watching movies and football). We also have a wine, cheese and chocolate party to go to with his friends, and I’m the Swiss Chocolate provider!

To my family: I miss you all so terribly and am counting down the days when I get to see you! I wish I was home this Thanksgiving with you all. Please freeze some yummy dressing for me, Mom! Happy Thanksgiving to all. Oh yeah, and HOOK ‘EM HORNS!

1 comment:

Jenny said...

Oh Hayley, what a wonderful account of your crazy and fun week with friends! Thank you so much for taking the time to write all of that, i just ate it up! I especially liked the pic of y'all trying to figure out the Paris Underground, that's what Zack, Sarah and I looked like! Happy Thanksgiving and I can't wait to hear about how that went with the Davis' and Eason! : ) Love you!