Wednesday, September 3, 2008

First Day of School

So -- being at an elementary school is COMPLETELY different than being at a middle school! I have never in my life had to cut up chicken and scrape plates in all of my years as an 8th grade teacher. I miss my 8th graders even more now!

Things here went GREAT today! Yesterday's prep time was pretty stressful, but once the kids got here all was great. I laughed at myself yesterday because one of the things I was doing up here until 11 at night was to prepare some teacher first day gifts. That sounds like it's not that big of a deal, but when you don't have a car and live on a mountain, and the stores close at 6 - it's actually not so easy! But I told Blair, who works in my office with me, "I am SO my mother! I have so much important things to do, but here I am making first day goodies for teachers. My mom does that, only she bakes things for them then personally places it on the teachers' desk! She's a rockstar!" :) I'm so much like her sometimes it's scary. I suppose there are worse things in life than to be compared to my wonderful, super principal mom!

Today I split my time between the 2 campuses, but stayed mostly down at Focolare, the Pre-K - 2nd grade campus. WOW, what a different world! Nap times, "wheels on the bus" -- and at lunch I served food, poured ketchup, cut up chicken (!), wiped faces, did potty breaks, bussed tables, and scraped plates....ew. I'll never complain about middle school duties ever again, haha! But it was really fun to be there around that atmosphere and all those sweet kiddos. 5 year old Italian kids have got to be the most adorable things ever, with their whiney accents! I love it! Too bad it rained ALL day (after 3 weeks of beautiful sunshine) so that made for a long day for the teachers. The little kids don't do so well without their outside recess time. Elementary school teachers absolutely AMAZE me. They have more patience than anyone I know (and can scarf down a lunch faster than the speed of light).

Hope all is well in everyone's world! Love to all!

4 comments:

Marvin G said...

whats up miss haglund we miss you too.and hope you become the best principal/teacher in europe history.really.and i will give you 5 dollars if you jump off the bridge.good luck c ya

Beth and Shane said...

Hayley...you really are a rock star! The teacher goodies on the first day were awesome & you have been so great coming in and out of our rooms helping out & especially at lunch. Who serves kids roasted chicken on a bone anyway? Thanks for being so great! :) Schools need more leaders like you.

susan hogan said...

hello miss hayley!
wow! it's getting harder and harder to convince kathryn that we'll be okay just with looking at pics from Lugano and not going to actually visit you...now i'm really wanting to go too! :-)
we watched all your videos and looked at pics, and of course, it still all looks fabulous...you look great too and look like you're having a blast, which is fantastic!
p.s. i'm watching UT play UTEP right now...we're up 21 to 6 in the 2nd quarter...HOOK'EM BABY!
well, gotta run now and get my munchkin to bed...she says "i miss you and we'll see you when you're back"

we love you!
susan and kathryn :-)

Jenny said...

oh hayley! i love all these kid stories! I wish i was teaching kinder there and that you were my principal! : ) they are SO lucky to have you, the kids and the teachers! how much fun! and how funny it is to know that you are doing all the same things we are doing, but in SWITZERLAND with adorable little italian kids! keep those stories coming!