Sunday, September 14, 2008

A Hard Blog to Write









My beach, Crystal Beach, is gone. We have no way of knowing yet what the fate of our houses there is, but from all accounts I've heard, it doesn't look good. People who lived in both Driftwood (Dad's house) and on Gulf Shores (Mom's house) were helicoptered out and are reporting that not much in either neighborhood is left. I have so many memories there -- from growing up into adulthood. I spent a week there with mom/marty and dad/lisa this summer, trying to soak in the beach as much as I could. I was sentimental then, because I knew it would be a year before I saw my beloved beach again. Little did I know, I will never see Crystal Beach, as I knew it, ever again.

http://www.khou.com/video/topstories-index.html?nvid=282603
http://www.swedesrealestate.com/News/tabid/86/ctl/ArticleView/mid/832/articleId/770/Default.aspx

It's very strange to be so far away from the ones you love who are going through this. My mom is housing hundreds of evacuees at her school, and these people will not be able to return home for at least a month, they are saying. Our houses in Lufkin are fine, but Dad reports that it looks like a "war zone" - trees in houses and on top of power lines. Hilary and Stephen weathered the storm in Houston, but she says things are pretty bad there. The worst part is the heat, and no electricity. They aren't sure how long they can take staying there in those conditions.

It's very odd to talk to everyone back home and to know more about how things look than they do. Here I am, a half a world away, and I'm having to report to them that Crystal Beach is no more. It's a pretty lonely feeling and I wish more than anything I was there to hug my family.

Sorry for the Debbie Downer post. :( Please keep the people on the coast of Texas in your prayers. There is so much damage. To many people that lost homes in the region, their house there was their only house. Our houses were just our vacation homes, and that really keeps things in perspective for me. Still, I am heartbroken and completely shocked.

Here are a few pics of my mom's house at Hil's 30th bday in May, and a few shots from Dad's house a couple of summers ago. I will keep everyone updated on what we find out -- hopefully in a few days they can get in to assess what's left. Thanks to all of you who have sent emails. I'm thankful to report that everyone home is fine and thankful for each and every one of you for checking in. More soon!

5 comments:

susan hogan said...

Hayley, i've been thinking about you and your family this whole weekend. i am so very sorry about everything. i've been wondering if you'd heard anything about crystal beach, but when i saw on the news the damage that had happened there, i couldn't think of any words that could help. in the couple of trips that we made to your parents' beautiful homes there, we had a wonderful time and will never forget...beach glass, shrimp, long nights visiting on that awesome porch, wild turkey, world-famous haglund margaritas, walk vs wok, fly-away beach tent, tx chainsaw massacre screams, and let's not forget lee's crazy pointing at the sky. Hayley, i love you friend! please let me know if there is anything i can do...besides the thoughts and prayers that have already been headed your family's way.

Marvin G said...

hey whats up miss sorry to hear about your parents house.but the important thing is that you friends and family are ok,right?good luck.Cya

Christy said...

i was thinking about good ol crystal beach and your family all weekend. I will cherish the fun beach times there. miss you boo!!!

Jenny said...

oh hayley, i have been thinking about y'all this whole weekend and reading your blog just breaks our hearts. i am so sorry to hear about what happened to a place that was so special to so many people. thank god you and your precious family are safe and sound. you guys are in our prayers, i love you!

Dee said...

I saw aerial videos from Crystal Beach. I am so sorry for your family. You have lots of fun memories here. We rented your cabin years ago when Casey was about 3. Thinking of all of you.