Monday, September 22, 2008

Lucerne






Well I have finally pulled myself out of the depression of losing the beach houses. We got confirmation that they are both gone (google-images of our streets and some fly-overs of the peninsula was our source). Initially it was too hard to believe, but it's kind of sunk in now and we all are beginning to accept it. I am running a penny drive (Franc drive?) at school to help the victims back home. Mom's school is going to join in with us - how cool!

Back "home" in Switzerland all is well. The weekend of the hurricane I was driving myself crazy watching the news and worrying, so I got out of town with Angie, Allie and Carla. We went to Lucerne via train (my first very punctual Swiss train!) and had a really great time. Basically Lucerne isn't that different from Lugano, except that it's a Swiss German town instead of a Swiss Italian town and there is TONS more to do there. Basically we paid $200 for the train ride and hotel stay, just so we could go to a proper pub and watch a movie in English. :) The train ride was nice though -- already snow on the Alps and beautiful waterfalls along the way!

I am currently at the Cologne airport in Germany waiting for my flight back to Milan. Eas and I were here visiting his friend in Dusseldorf and we had a great time! I now know how to say thank you in at least 5 languages! I will say one thing I've learned about traveling in Europe, though. Unless you're in Switzerland, time doesn't matter! Yesterday we waited 1.5 for a train in Germany, and both flights have managed to be delayed. More on the Germany trip soon!

P.S. These first pic is of the view from my bathroom! Tough life. ☺ The rest are from Lucerne!

2 comments:

HHW said...

"Hi Hale-y" :) I love it!

The pictures are amazing. I'm so happy to see you having a good time. Things are getting back to normal here too. Case in point: The Longhorns are winning and the Aggies look like crap.

Miss you and love you so much!

Dee said...

It is great to see that you have met good friends and enjoying yourself being so far from home. What an experience you are having and making great memories.