Sunday, September 7, 2008

Funny Italian Kid Stories

After talking to friends/family back home, I have been given special requests to post some funny school stories from the first week. As I have said, I'm working with much smaller ones than I'm used to. On the 2nd day of school, a little kindergartner had an accident (it happens), so I walked with him to wait for his mom to pick him up. During this interaction, I got a small glimpse into what school must be like for a little one who doesn't speak English in a school that is run only in English. SCARY! This little one speaks only Italian, and he really likes to speak Italian! He doesn't care that you don't! :) So he's just chatting away, asking me questions in that little whiney Italian voice. I had NO idea what to say, so I said "really? yeah!" And he just looked at me as if I had 3 heads.

The next day we were serving the little ones lunch, and this one kids started asking if he could have some "mice?' "Mice?" I said. "Why would you want to eat MICE!?" Then 3 or 4 more kids piped up -- "yes, mice -- I would like mice, too!" I must have looked thoroughly confused because one of the kids who speaks both languages yelled, "that's corn!" Hilarious.

Off to lunch -- more later!! Love to all!
Hayley

7 comments:

Marvin G said...

hey whats up miss i like italian kids too but i have a question for you and you might have to try it out so here i go.when you flush the toilet does the water spin the other way.im just curious.good luck.c ya

SwissMiss said...

No, Marvin. That's only in Australia. And it's not even true. :) The toilets are the same, but the food is totally different. Sometimes for dinner, we have HORSE!!!
-Ms H

Marvin G said...

LUCKY!!!not eww thats nasty.any way miss another question um if its 2pm in us what time is it over there.good luck.c ya

britany graves said...

omg mice bieng corn who would think of that? ms. ive always wondered how it feels to be with a bunch of people that have no clue what your saying that would be akward.

SwissMiss said...

Hi Britany! Good to hear from you! I'm so happy my old kids are reading my blog. I thought you had forgotten about me for sure! How is high school? Are you staying away from the boys!? I'm really proud of you...you are a great student. Keep up the good work and keep in touch!
-Ms H

LTMP said...

Horse??? For serious?

Anonymous said...

has anyone had a locker party yet?